Friday, September 27, 2013

Pros and Cons: Diva Cup



I'm going to lay it out, plain and simple.

PROS:
  • No more tampons...
    • That means: no more cotton up your vaj, drying you out. 
    • I realized, after using my Diva, that tampons were actually what was causing my cramps. Any menstrual cup would alleviate my cramps because the evil tampons were causing them. 
  • No more leaks! Seriously. No leaks!
  • You know that big "gluuuggg" you feel when you know your tampon is about to gush out? No more of that. I mean, you can have leaks if you don't pay attention to your cycle but that is only if you let your cup overflow or you don't attain a proper seal. 
  • No more re-stocking. Which translates to: never being without. No more going to the cabinet and having that "oh shit" moment and having to run to the store to get more disposables. 
    • I know I have done that a ton of times. Even having to go straight to the bathroom in the store to use tampons I've just purchased. Now I keep my cup in my purse and it is, literally, always with me. I am never caught unprepared. 
  • New found knowledge & passion for my period! I don't know about you, but I have been diving into research since my first successful cycle using my cup. I have gained so much knowledge and now I look forward to my period, and pulling out my little friend who has been waiting in my purse for weeks. :) It sounds stupid, and "looking forward to" might be stretching it a little... but you know what I'm trying to say. 
  • Comfort! It may look large but the Diva Cup is made of a soft silicone and once inserted, you can't even feel it. When silicone warms with your body, and the seal is in tact, it forms and moves with your body. 
  • Part of the club! I feel like I've been let in on a secret. 
  • You are eliminating a lot of trash/waste. 'Nuff said.
  • You are not pumping unnatural chemicals into your most precious, sensitive parts. :) Do me a favor... just look it up. Look at what those popular disposable menstrual products have in them. It kills me that I never did my research before. 
  • It's clean! Contrary to popular (uneducated) opinion, it is very much cleaner than tampons and especially pads. 
Honest truth: All of my pros are not necessarily directly pros for the Diva Cup as a brand. They are menstrual cup specific. I have not tried any other brands so I can't really gauge what is positive exactly about the Diva Cup. Once I try out other brands, hopefully soon, I will do a more brand specific blog.

CONS:
  • Their marketing angle. This is Diva Cup specific. I think their packaging, website, and pouch is geared towards little girls. It is so frilly. I don't like that. I mean, I keep my cup in it's pouch and I find it useful but I do not like the design. This is not something that would keep me from buying the product. Just a minor gripe.
  • This goddamn pin. Again, am I 12? I will never stop hating the pin. I think it's stupid. Please, someone, give me a useful suggestion as to what the eff to do with this pin. Right now, it sits in a drawer and when I come across it I shake my head. I guess another question is... why haven't I thrown it away or given it away? I don't tend to throw non-garbage things away. I try to find a use for them... Again, this is Diva Cup specific. I don't see any other brands giving a stupid, childish pin as a cracker jack prize.
  • It has a major learning curve. This is not brand specific. This is with all cups. It is similar to but very different than inserting a tampon.



Overall, I'd give The Diva Cup 6 out of 10 stars. This might change after trying other brands. 

Thanks for reading! 
xo - S


4 comments:

  1. :( I put my pin on my school bag and it fell off somewhere... I don't know what the hell happened to it... still haven't found it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you like mine? I'd happily mail it to you. :)

      Delete
  2. What a great post, thank you so much!

    I am literally looking forward to my period since I am on cloth pads. I love the designs, the fluffy feeling and that there are no more cramps. Maybe I'll try a cup one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I did what anyone of this age would do, I researched online for the way to fold the cup and on roughly how it should fit in me. menstrual cup canada

    ReplyDelete