I'm going to lay it out, plain and simple.
- No more tampons...
- That means: no more cotton up your vaj, drying you out.
- I realized, after using my Diva, that tampons were actually what was causing my cramps. Any menstrual cup would alleviate my cramps because the evil tampons were causing them.
- No more leaks! Seriously. No leaks!
- You know that big "gluuuggg" you feel when you know your tampon is about to gush out? No more of that. I mean, you can have leaks if you don't pay attention to your cycle but that is only if you let your cup overflow or you don't attain a proper seal.
- No more re-stocking. Which translates to: never being without. No more going to the cabinet and having that "oh shit" moment and having to run to the store to get more disposables.
- I know I have done that a ton of times. Even having to go straight to the bathroom in the store to use tampons I've just purchased. Now I keep my cup in my purse and it is, literally, always with me. I am never caught unprepared.
- New found knowledge & passion for my period! I don't know about you, but I have been diving into research since my first successful cycle using my cup. I have gained so much knowledge and now I look forward to my period, and pulling out my little friend who has been waiting in my purse for weeks. :) It sounds stupid, and "looking forward to" might be stretching it a little... but you know what I'm trying to say.
- Comfort! It may look large but the Diva Cup is made of a soft silicone and once inserted, you can't even feel it. When silicone warms with your body, and the seal is in tact, it forms and moves with your body.
- Part of the club! I feel like I've been let in on a secret.
- You are eliminating a lot of trash/waste. 'Nuff said.
- You are not pumping unnatural chemicals into your most precious, sensitive parts. :) Do me a favor... just look it up. Look at what those popular disposable menstrual products have in them. It kills me that I never did my research before.
- It's clean! Contrary to popular (uneducated) opinion, it is very much cleaner than tampons and especially pads.
Honest truth: All of my pros are not necessarily directly pros for the Diva Cup as a brand. They are menstrual cup specific. I have not tried any other brands so I can't really gauge what is positive exactly about the Diva Cup. Once I try out other brands, hopefully soon, I will do a more brand specific blog.
- Their marketing angle. This is Diva Cup specific. I think their packaging, website, and pouch is geared towards little girls. It is so frilly. I don't like that. I mean, I keep my cup in it's pouch and I find it useful but I do not like the design. This is not something that would keep me from buying the product. Just a minor gripe.
- This goddamn pin. Again, am I 12? I will never stop hating the pin. I think it's stupid. Please, someone, give me a useful suggestion as to what the eff to do with this pin. Right now, it sits in a drawer and when I come across it I shake my head. I guess another question is... why haven't I thrown it away or given it away? I don't tend to throw non-garbage things away. I try to find a use for them... Again, this is Diva Cup specific. I don't see any other brands giving a stupid, childish pin as a cracker jack prize.
- It has a major learning curve. This is not brand specific. This is with all cups. It is similar to but very different than inserting a tampon.
Overall, I'd give The Diva Cup 6 out of 10 stars. This might change after trying other brands.
Thanks for reading!
xo - S